Monday, April 09, 2007

The Little Prince

"Grown-ups never understand anything by themselves and it is rather tedious for children to have to explain things to them time and again.."

"..So the astronomer repeated his demonstration in 1920, dressed in an elegant suit. And this time everybody was convinced.."

After a long time I'm reading a book till the end..

Or so I thought when I started reading it.



Because The Little Prince started out interesting enough, it tried to avoid the kind of language that only the grown-ups understand, the words used did not demand having a dictionary by my side, and the book was so small.. I thought this time I'm surely going to finish it, for a change.

But that was not to be. After four or five chapters it got monotonous, and by the time it got to the flower and the King, it saturated; the words remained simple but the language became more of that of the grown-ups.. and (The Little Prince fans, forgive me) I could not move further. I gave up.

Still I think it was worth knowing that such a book existed. And it has been in existence for more than sixty years now. (Incidentally, one of these days I also found an advertisement of a version in Malayalam, as a series in Balabhumi.)

I'm still waiting.. to find a book that can hold me till the end!


[Image source: Wikipedia]

No comments: